2015 has been a very important and memorable, yet a hectic year for IEEE Malaysia ComSoc/VTS Joint Chapter. In 2015 we are proud to announce that we have conducted and/or participated:
- 10 membership development programs;
- 68 technical, professional and continuing education activities; out of these 68 activities 11 of them are Distinguished Lecture Tour (DLT) or Distinguished Speaker Program (DSP) given by 6 IEEE Distinguished Speakers from ComSoc and VTS;
- 3 conferences; and
- 35 administrative and strategic meetings; 7 excom meeting, 11 MICC excom meeting, 12 ICC excom meeting, and 5 other meetings (organized by Section).
The highlight of this year’s achievement is we managed to organize a number of collaborative activities with IEEE Malaysia Section and other chapters in IEEE Malaysia such as UKM Student Branch (SB), MMU SB, UPM SB, Nilai University SB, Young Professionals, Women in Engineering, Photonics Society and many more. Through these collaborations, we have achieved:
- Motivational talks and activities to IEEE student members to engage and participate in community services; and
- Encourage and experience sharing among IEEE Student branches in managing their branches, membership drive and organizing various successful IEEE events.
The Chapter noticed the need to enhance the visibility of IEEE and ComSoc/VTS organization in not only technical activities but other activities such as professional, community, educational activities etc. In particular, we:
- Organize various activities to strengthen the relationship among members from academia and industry;
- Initiate new collaboration with industry such as Sapura, TSGN etc; by means of technical visit and discussions;
- Promote IEEE technical professional and social activities among students through short courses, technical talk, DLT/DSP and sport events; and
- Increase visibility of IEEE among University management, industry, local and global organizations through collaboration and joint activities.
In addition, we also proud to announce our very first ComSoc/VTS Awards, giving away prizes to Best Paper published in selected IEEE journals, Best Social Activity and Outstanding Dissertation Awards. These awards are meant to encourage IEEE members to produce high quality activities and projects, and to obtain recognition from IEEE. The prizes are plaques, RM1500 per award and fees coverage for new and renewed IEEE memberships in 2016. The announcement of the winners will be done during our Annual General Meeting on 30 January 2016.
The end of year 2015 is nicely completed by the Joint Chapter through organization of 12th Malaysia International Conference in Communications 2015 (MICC2015) which was organized on 23 – 25 Nov 2015 in Kuching, Sarawak. A total of 82 papers were presented by speakers from local and international institutions.
In summary, we are very satisfied with the commitments of all committees as well as our members. We get good comments on how to move forward in 2016 and we thank IEEE Malaysia Section for helping out in endorsing and participating in our programs.